REVOLUTION FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE
- TIME OF GAMES: There will be a 10 minute grace period for the FIRST GAME OF THE DAY ONLY. Any team not on the field will automatically forfeit and a forfeit fee will need to be paid before the teams next scheduled game. All other game times are as posted. Team captains are solely responsible for proper game times and fields. Game times and fields will be posted on the message board and league website.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS ON THE FIELD: A minimum of 6 players is required for a team to start a game. If a team cannot field 6 or more players the game will result in a forfeit and a forfeit fee will need to be paid before the teams next scheduled game.
- ROSTERS: Rosters must be submitted by the first game and are locked after the team’s SEVENTH No more than 30 players on a roster. Players must play a minimum of TWO regular season games to be eligible for playoffs. If a team uses an illegal player they will forfeit the game(s) the illegal player played in. League officials can ask for identification at their discretion. Individuals leaving a team and joining another team will need the consent of the Board. Any team captain allowing illegal players, without consent of the board, to play for their team will be required to pay a $100 fine plus forfeit fee for that game. Fines are to be paid to the League before the next scheduled game. Fines not paid will suspend team from League play. Each players MUST acknowledge the Waiver and Release of Liability before playing each season.
Reminder: USING A NON-ROSTER PLAYER WILL RESULT IN A PLAYER(S) EJECTION AND 15 YARD PENALTY.
- COIN/PUCK TOSS: A coin or puck toss shall begin each game. The team with the better record will have one captain make the call. The captain winning the toss shall choose one of the following options.
- Kick in the 1st half
- Receive in the 1st half
- Designate which goal to defend
- To defer choice to the 2nd half.
Loser of coin toss shall make a choice of the remaining options.
- OPTIONAL KICKOFFS: A team may request to play a game without kickoffs during the coin toss. Both teams must agree to the request, if opposing team declines this request. Normal Kickoff rules will apply. If opposing team agrees to request, receiving team will begin drive from their own 20 yard line. If there are any penalties to be assessed on kickoff, they will be applied at start of the drive at 20 yard line (ex: 15 yard penalty assessed on kickoff, the ensuing drive will begin at receiving team’s OWN 5 yard line).
- FLAGS: Each team is required to supply their own flags. Each player on the field shall wear Triple Threat (Flag A Tag) Flags. Flags should be a minimum of 1.5 inches wide and 14 inches long. Flags cannot be altered in anyway. The flags must be of a contrasting color of shorts or pants.
- BALL SIZE: Ball must be NFL regulation size.
- MOUTHPIECE: All players are advised to wear protective mouthpiece. This is for your protection and is highly recommended.
- TEAM UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT: Teams are required to have the same basic color jersey with numbers on the front and/or back. Teams must also have an alternate color jersey just in case of conflicting team colors.
- Teams may required to have an alternate jersey available.
- Team with better record will have choice of jersey color and if tied coin flip will determine. Jerseys must be tucked in at all times and shall not at any given point during a game cover any portion of the flag belt. No half cut or waist length jerseys allowed. Pants must contrast color of flags. Cleats must be rubber or molded plastic. Screw-on cleats are allowed as long as they are plastic. STEEL CLEATS OF ANY KIND ARE PROHIBITED. Prescription and shatter-proof glasses are allowed. Sunglasses must bear a shatterproof symbol. Referees will have sole discretion on sunglasses.
- SPEAKING CAPTAINS: Prior to the start of the game the Referee will ask each team to designate Captains for each side of the ball. These players will be the sole representative during the game and can only be changed if they are disqualified from game.
- Safety = 2 points
- Field Goal = 3 points
- Touchdown = 6 points. Ball must cross the plain.
- Extra points
- 1 point from 3 yard line. Play or Kick.
- 2 points from 10 yard line. Play or Kick.
- 3 points from 20 yard line. Play or Kick.
*if goal posts are reversed (ex. Spring) yardage for kicks reduces by 2*
NOTE: The designated speaking team captain shall make decision on extra point(s). Once decision is made, yardage (point value) can only be changed by taking a charged time-out. Enforcement of penalty yardage on extra points does not change the value of the point(s). The defensive team after interception, blocked kick, or recovers a fumble in the air without the ball hitting the ground may advance the ball to the other goal line. If returned it will be awarded the value of the extra point(s).
- REGULATION TIME OF PLAY: Games will consist of TWO-24 MINUTE HALVES, with a running clock. The clock will be stopped following the scoring of a touchdown and completion of extra point and will have 40 SECONDS to kickoff following completion of extra point attempt and referees whistle. Referee may stop the clock at their discretion (i.e. injuries, etc.). Referee will announce that there is 2 minutes left on the clock in both halves. There will be a 30 SECOND play clock in between plays starting at the discretion of the official keeping time.
- TWO MINUTE WARNING: The clock will stop for the 2 minute warning, and restart on the consecutive snap. After the 2 minute warning the following timing rules shall apply:
- TWO MINUTE GAME CLOCK: After two minutes, the game clock will stop on incomplete and out of bounds plays. After a first-down in-bounds, the clock shall stop and restart on the ready-to-play whistle. After a score, the clock will remained stopped until the touch of the ensuing kickoff. Following a kickoff return or any turnover, the clock will start dependent on the preceding play. That is, if a kickoff or interception return is deflagged in-bounds, the clock will start on the ready. Out of bounds will start on the snap.
- HALFTIME: There will be a 3 MINUTE intermission between halves.
- TIMEOUTS AND PLAY CLOCK: Each team is allowed THREE – 30 SECOND time outs per half. Timeouts will be recognized by on-field players and/or designated coaches only and can be indicated to any Referee. Equipment and injury timeouts are at the Referee’s discretion, play will resume on their mark. Play will start at the snap of the ball. There will be a 30 second play clock between plays, which begins at the spot of the ball/placement of puck at the referee’s discretion. Failure to snap the ball within this time frame will result in a 5 yard penalty. FOLLOWING A TOUCHDOWN WITHIN THE FINAL TWO MINUTES OF EACH HALF, THE CLOCK WILL STOP FOR EXTRA POINT CONVERSIONS, BUT PLAY CLOCK WILL STILL BE ACTIVE. CLOCK WILL STOP FOR KICKOFFS AFTER SCORING PLAYS, BUT TEAMS WILL HAVE 40 SECONDS TO COMPLETE KICKOFF.
- OVERTIME: Teams will flip a coin to determine possession at the beginning of overtime period. Winning team will get choice of Offense, Defense, or direction. Team A will have a series of 4 downs at the opponent’s 20-yard line to score a touchdown, or a field goal. There will be no first down, unless a defensive penalty causes a first down. Then Team B has one series to match or beat the result of Team A first drive.If score is tied after the first OT, we will revert to extra point attempts. No Kicking Allowed during these next overtimes. Teams will flip a coin to determine choice. Winning team will choose Offense, Defense, Type of extra point (1, 2, or 3), teams will reverse the order for the third OT. If score is tied after third OT, teams must then go for 2 or 3 point extra point. Overtime will continue until a winner is declared. There will be one timeout in overtime. Interceptions returned will be awarded the value of the extra point attempt. All penalties are the same as regulation play.
- MERCY RULE: If a team is winning by 28 points or more with 15 minutes or less left in 2nd half, or 17 points or more with 2 minutes left to play the game is over.
- SPORTSMANSHIP: Captains are responsible for the conduct by their players and fans. Unsportsmanlike conduct by captains, players and/or Fans may result in an ejection from the current game and grounds. If you get ejected the board will review and determine how many games to be suspended for. If player does not return, the team must pay the fine. Captains must control their players, sidelines, and fans.
- REFEREES: An official will not take any abuse. If any player harasses a referee, including but not limited to derogatory language and persistent harassment and argument of calls, the team will be assessed a 15 yard penalty. Any abuse given to an official before, after, or during a game will result in an ejection from game or of future game (s) and will be reviewed by the Board. Only the speaking captain may approach an official in a calm and respectful voice about a rule clarification or interpretations.
- REFEREE CONDUCT: The referee will be responsible for their conduct towards players. Any threat or out of line conduct made by a referee will be handled by the Board.
- INADVERTENT WHISTLE: If the referee whistles the play prematurely, the offense shall have the choice of a: accepting the ball where it was whistled dead or b: repeat down.
- First down is every painted zone line.
- The center must snap the ball between his legs. Direct snap is allowed only to a player not on the line of scrimmage. Center must wait for the official to set the puck before snapping the ball.
- Ball is dead when any part of the ball or ball carrier other than foot touches the ground. On a snap or fumble the ball will be spotted where the ball touched the ground. If the ball is fumbled forward, the ball will be spotted at the point of fumble. Game clock will continue to run.
- One foot in bounds for a completion. Player’s feet hit the sidelines and cones they are out of bounds. The end-zone cone is considered in-bounds.
- All players must be 5 yards in from the sideline. Dead ball foul, Illegal Procedure 5 yard penalty.
- Using a “Sleeper Play”15 yard Unsportsmanlike foul from previous spot will be assessed.
- There will be no diving or hurdling by an offensive player to advance the ball, unless you are jumping over a player to avoid injury. An offensive player can jump backward or sideways to avoid being deflagged or throw the ball. The player with the ball can spin, but the ball must be above the waist. Holding ball below the waist is considered flag guarding.
- The ball carrier cannot dive to advance the ball. 10 yard spot foul repeat down.
- Flag guarding is a 10 yard penalty from the spot of infraction and a loss of down.
- One hand touch (between shoulders and knees, including arms and hands) when a ball carrier flags fall off inadvertently.
- All Players must start play with their flags on and properly secured. Failure will result in a 5 yard penalty. Illegal participation (No flags on) by Offense will result in 5 yard penalty and replay the down.
- The ball will be spotted at the forward most point of the ball, not the players body, upon being deflagged or touched (flags come off).
- Ball caught by two opposing players will be become a dead ball at the spot and the offense will retain possession (simultaneous catch). Referees discretion.
- Only one offensive player may be in motion at the time of the snap. This motion must not be toward the opponent’s goal line. (If two or more players go in motion before the snap, then this is considered a shift and all players must come set for one full second prior to the snap). Illegal Procedure – 5 yards penalty from the line of scrimmage replay down.
- Any runner in possession of the ball may not stiff arm, or contact an opponent by extending his arm/hand preventing them from deflagging/tag. Any runner that swings arm\hand, or lowers a shoulder that puts his arm over the flags, and prevent team from deflagging. Spot Foul 10 yard flag guard penalty and loss of down.
- Intentional Grounding. When a passer intentionally throws the ball to the ground or out of bounds to save loss of yardage without making an obviously-honest attempt to complete a pass to a teammate. Referees discretion on penalty. Penalty for Intentional Grounding will be as follows: 5 yard penalty where the penalty occurred, and there will be a loss of down.
- Spiking the Ball / Clocking is allowed: QB must have possession of ball before he actively spikes ball down from a snap. Under 2 mins QB must at least spike ball forward to stop clock. If he fumbles snap or goes over his head the clock will continue to run.
- No defensive player may line up over the center when the QB is in the shotgun. Lining up over the center is defined as any part of the defender’s body may not be inside the shoulders of the center and must be two yards off the line of scrimmage. A 5 yard penalty and repeat of down will be assessed. However, if the QB lines up under center, then the defense can line up directly over center.
- One bump within 5 yards, no carrying with a bump. Illegal contact is a 5 yard penalty from line of scrimmage and automatic first down. Illegal contact/bodying up the ball carrier to remove the carrier’s flag is 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul and repeat down, if first down is not achieved.
- QB ARM: Defenders need to approach the passer with both arms straight up in the air, or go for the flags. A defender that lowers their arms, or hit and makes contact with arm of the passer is considered roughing the passer. Penalty is 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. If pass is completed, the yardage from the completed pass will be gained, then 10 yards extra will be added on and an automatic first down.
- LAST MAN RULE: If a player is on the verge of scoring and there is one player left to prevent the touchdown he needs to make an attempt to grab the flags. If he tackles, trips, or pushes the player out of bounds, and the penalty happened outside the 20 yard line, the ball will be spotted at the 5 yard line. If the penalty happened at/or within the 20 yard line, the ball will be spotted at 1 yard line. Referee Discretion.
- SPECIAL TEAMS
- Kickoffs are from 40 yard line. Receiving team must line-up at least 4 players at the 50 yard line. If the ball is kicked out of bounds, receiving team has choice of ball placed at 35 yard line or where ball went out of bounds prior to the 35 yard line.
- On any Free Kick, if any inbounds free kick comes to rest and no player of either team touches the ball, the ball is dead at the spot and the ball is declared to the receiving team.
- Fake Field Goal/Extra Point — Place kicker with his knee down can come up from his knee and throw the ball/or run.
- On an extra point or field goal, there are no 3 or 4 point stances for lineman (Offensive or Defensive).
- PUNT RULE: Teams may ask to punt on any down. The ref will ask the offense if they wish to punt, or No Declare. In order to change the decision of a protected kick, a team must ask for a time out.
- PUNT: No Rushing the kicker and the center must snap the ball to kicker (kicker must be at least 5 yards from center). 4 men on Defensive line of scrimmage and no one can leave until the ball is kicked.
- NO DECLARE: Full live rush and offence can choose to punt the ball at any given time. Offensive and Defensive line can leave the line of scrimmage as soon as the ball is snapped.
- When rushing on a punt and the defense runs into the kicker or roughing the kicker is a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down. If the ball is blocked, on a punt or Field goal, the defense can advance the ball, if the ball does not hit the ground. If the ball does hit the ground it is a dead ball.
- On extra point, or field goal attempt the defense cannot rush the A gap. A gap is the space between the center and the 2 guards. The center and guard’s feet must stay in contact. A 5 yard penalty and down over will be assessed, unless the Lineman vacate the A gap (feet separate).
- RUNNING INTO THE KICKER, HOLDER, AND SNAPPER ON EXTRA POINTS AND FIELD GOALS: Roughing the kicker, holder, or snapper is an automatic 10 yard penalty on the kickoff, no matter if extra point/field goal is successful or not. The ball will be place on the 1 yard line for retry. Even if the kick is blocked on the attempt the kicker, holder, or center may not be roughed. It will be considered a roughing penalty.
- ONSIDE KICK RULE: **RULE ONLY APPLIES TO LOSING TEAM AND IS ONLY IN EFFECT WITH LESS THAN 2 MINUTES REMAINING IN GAME** The receiving (winning) team must return the ball beyond their own 20 yard line (even after a penalty is assessed, ball must cross over the 20). If not, the kicking (losing) team will receive the ball at the 50 yard line with 1st down and next zone-line to gain. If the ball crosses the goal line of the end-zone a touchback will occur and the receiving (winning) team will have the ball at the 20 yard line.
- OBSCENE LANGUAGE: Any obscene language on or off the field of play directed at an official or another player will result in a 15 yard penalty for that team. Repeated infractions may result in an ejection from the game at the referee’s discretion.
- No roll or blocking below the waist. It will be a personal foul (10 yard penalty)
- DEFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE: Spot foul and an automatic first down.
- OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE: 10 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage and loss of down.
- OFFENSIVE HOLDING: 10 yard penalty and repeat of down.
- DEFENSIVE HOLDING: Defensive players may not hold, grasp, or impede the forward progress of the ball carrier. Penalty is 10 yards from the end of the run and replay of down. Holding of eligible receiver (non-possession) is 5 yard penalty from line of scrimmage and automatic first down.
- OFFSIDES: On offense or defense is a dead play. 5 yard penalty. Second consecutive offside penalty is 10 yard penalty.
- NO TACKLING: a 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage and automatic first down. If the same player, in the same game gets penalized twice for tackling a player he will be ejected from the game and will be reviewed by the Board.
- NO BLOCKING IN THE BACK: Spot foul 10 yard penalty and replay the down, if first down is not achieved.
- No lowering of shoulder on either side of ball. Ball carriers cannot drive or run deliberately in a defensive player. The charge/block principles used in basketball apply. Spot foul 10 yard penalty and replay the down, if first down not achieved.
- Contact to the head is a personal foul. Two personal fouls by the same player will be ejected from that game and will be reviewed by the Board.
- Any player going for the knees is a personal foul, there will be an unsportsmanlike spot foul and 15 yard penalty. If the player repeats the foul he will be ejected from game and reviewed by the Board.
- Ongoing/reoccurring issues with players and/or teams may result in suspension or expulsion from participation in league, per the discretion of league board.
- Internal team matters will not be handled by the league and must be resolved by the team.
- Two personal fouls assessed to sideline will result in a forfeit.
- If a defender doesn’t have flags on before the start of play it is a 5 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage replay down. If a player ties or adjusts flag in any way, so they cannot be removed, he will be ejected and a 15 yard penalty for the team he plays for.
- If for any reason a player(s) is ejected from a game that person(s) will be suspended for a minimum of one game and a $50 fine will be assessed. Any player(s) involved in any fighting manner will be suspended for twelve games and a $100 fine will be assessed to the team. This fine is to be paid by the teams next scheduled game. Teams that do not comply will be issued a forfeit and a forfeit fee of $50 will assessed.
- PLAYER BEHAVIOR
- Any verbal harassment of officials and/or derogatory language between opposing players may result in player(s) involved being penalized. The first derogatory action or language will be penalized 15 yards, the player(s) will be asked to sit for 8 plays and the Team Captain warned. The second derogatory action or language will cause player(s) to be ejected for remainder of the game and a 15 yard penalty assessed against the team of the disqualified player(s). Sideline players are subject to the same disqualification for abuse, obscene, or badgering language to either opposing players or officials. If the Captain or Coach of the penalized team cannot control the action of his players, the game will be forfeited at the discretion of the game officials.
- EJECTED PLAYERS: Any player ejected from the game has 2 mins to gather his belongings and must leave the field and parking lot. Any member that doesn’t comply, his team will be penalized as well as his suspension will be extended.
- FORFEIT FEE: Teams will be charged $60 (referee fees) for a forfeited game and is to be paid before the next scheduled game. If a team forfeits twice in a season, they will be subject to further consequences including, but not limited to removal from the schedule and no refunds.
- SUSPENSIONS: All teams are responsible for their own player(s) fine(s). Fines are due as determined by the Board. Teams that cannot comply will forfeit their next scheduled game and a forfeit fine will be assessed.
- SIDELINE INFRACTION: If a player(s) comes onto the field from the sideline during any altercation, the player(s) will be ejected from the game and 15 yard penalties will be administered to all parties involved at the referee’s discretion and will be reviewed by the Board.
- PORTABLE MUSIC SPEAKERS: There will be no portable music speakers or any form of music played on fields during games. Music can be played on field at a reasonable volume before games and may be played outside stadium during warmups. League officials may ask to have music turned down or removed at official’s discretion. Failure to comply, will result in 15 yard sideline infraction penalty and/or possible forfeit.
|SPOT FOULS – OFFENSE|
|ILLEGAL FORWARD PASS||SPOT FOUL, -5 YARDS, LOSS OF DOWN|
|FLAG GUARDING||SPOT FOUL, -10 YARDS, LOSS OF DOWN|
|HOLDING||SPOT FOUL, -10 YARDS, REPLAY OF DOWN|
|DIVING TO ADVANCE THE BALL||SPOT FOUL, -10 YARDS, REPLAY OF DOWN|
|ILLEGAL BLOCK||SPOT FOUL, -10 YARDS, REPLAY OF DOWN|
|ILLEGAL CONTACT/NOT AVOIDING DEFENDER||SPOT FOUL, -10 YARDS, REPLAY OF DOWN|
|UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS||SPOT FOUL, -15 YARDS AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN|
|TARGETING||SPOT FOUL, -15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, LOSS OF DOWN|
|SPOT FOULS – OFFENSE|
|DEFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE||SPOT FOUL, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN|
|STRIPPING||SPOT FOUL, +10 YARDS FROM END OF PLAY, REPLAY DOWN IF FIRST DOWN NOT ACHIEVED|
|ILLEGAL CONTACT/BODYING UP THE BALL CARRIER TO REMOVE FLAG||SPOT FOUL, +10 YARDS FROM END OF PLAY, REPLAY DOWN IF FIRST DOWN NOT ACHIEVED|
|UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS||SPOT FOUL, +15 YARDS, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN|
|TARGETING||SPOT FOUL, +15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN|
|ILLEGAL CONTACT||AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, +5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL FLAG PULL||AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, +5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|HOLDING -ELIGIBLE RECEIVER (NON POSSESSION)||AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, +5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL SUBSTITUION||REPLAY THE DOWN, +5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|OFFSIDES/ENCROACHMENT/NEUTRAL ZONE INFRACTION||REPLAY THE DOWN, +5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE; CONSECUTIVE-REPLAY THE DOWN, +10 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|HOLDING – BALL CARRIER||REPLAY THE DOWN, +10 YARDS FROM END OF PLAY|
|ROUGHING KICKER, HOLDER, SNAPPER||FIELD GOAL-AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, +15 YARDS; EXTRA POINT-OPTIONAL RETRY FROM 1 YARD LINE, 10 YARD PENALTY ASSESSED ON KICKOFF|
|UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT||AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, +15 YARDS FROM THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|SIMULATING THE SNAP COUNT||REPLAY OF DOWN, +15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL PARTICIPATION||REPLAY OF DOWN, +15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|DELAY OF GAME||REPLAY OF DOWN, -5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE; EXCESSIVE-REPLAY OF DOWN, -15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL MOTION/PROCEDURE-FALSE START/SHIFT||REPLAY THE DOWN, -5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL FORMATION||REPLAY THE DOWN, -5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL SUBSTITUTION||REPLAY THE DOWN, -5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL PARTICIPATION (STARTING PLAY WITH NO FLAGS ON)||LOSS OF DOWN, -5 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE||LOSS OF DOWN, -10 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT||AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN, -15 YARDS FROM THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|ILLEGAL PARTICIPATION||REPLAY OF DOWN, -15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|FIGHTING||EJECTION, 15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|PROFANITY||EJECTION AT REFEREE’S DISCRETION, 15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|UNPALATABLE ACT||REFEREE’S DISCRETION, 15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|CONDUCT UNBECOMING||15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|
|TAUNTING||15 YARDS FROM LINE OF SCRIMMAGE|